Ammen’s Mill became famous for its patterns woven into excellent wool blankets like the two shown here. They were donated to the Botetourt County Museum by Phyllis Burch Tinser. Benjamin Ammen (1800-1867) owned the four-story mill which had a wool-carding machine. Men’s and women’s clothing and a hat shop were located in the mill where Leonardo’s Restaurant in Fincastle is now. The millstone is in front of the BCHS Museum. Ammen built his home next to the mill which now faces Leonardo’s along Miller’s Creek. He slipped on ice and fell at his mill becoming paralyzed. His grave is in the Fincastle Presbyterian Church Cemetery.