The Hayth Hotel Ledger from 1914-1916 was donated to the Botetourt County Historical Society by Stuart Carter. Still partially standing on the corner of Roanoke and Back Street, the Hayth Hotel was one of the early Fincastle taverns in 1820. A checkmark in the ledger meant a horse was in the barn. Pictures of this popular hotel are in the Historic Fincastle Inc. book “Around Town, A Pictorial Review of Old Fincastle, Virginia.” The tavern was first operated by William Craft and later by James McDowell Sr. and his son. They conveyed the Hotel to W.B. Hayth and he to his son, E. Bowyer Hayth.