The tapered candle mold on the right was once owned by Charles Jackson Shannon, who was a member of the General Assembly from 1862-65 and 1888-92. It was used to make tallow or beeswax candles and was donated to the Botetourt County History Museum by Robert M. Shannon Jr.
The fancy candle trimmer (circa 1770) on the left once belonged to John Alderson, who is credited with establishing the first Baptist Church west of the Blue Ridge. He was its minister and mentioned the trimmer in his 1780 will. It was donated by family member George Maxwell Wyne.