From 1879 to 1949, the Botetourt County Fair was held on a flat tract of land adjacent to Old Fincastle Road and Hawthorne Hall Road. Today, it was located across from the Brian Center. This photograph shows the large grandstand and jockeys ready for the popular horse races on the track. It was donated to the Botetourt County History Museum by H.W. Scott, a former Botetourt teacher. In 2013 the Botetourt County Fair was reinstated at the Buchanan Town Park. It is held in August by the Virginia Cooperative Extension and the Botetourt 4-H. There is local produce, food, music and farm animals, but no horse races.
Leave a Reply