This rare pine table has well-worn bottom boards and one drawer. It was used by early settler Peter Flook in the Mountain House Tavern he built along a major route that once was a Native American trail. Settlers came by horseback and stagecoach to stay in his tavern. Eventually, railroad tracks were laid next to what became known as Fluke’s Tavern. Today the area is known as Blue Ridge. This table was kept in the family and donated to the Botetourt Museum of History and Culture by Margaret Fluke (1918-2022). With the Botetourt County Historical Society’s purchase of an 1871 house on Main Street in Fincastle, there is room to display Margaret’s generous gift.
~ Botetourt County Museum of History & Culture