April activities at Solomon’s Mission
Upcoming activities at Solomon’s Mission on Lowe Street in Buchanan include:
- Thursday, April 7, 11 a.m.-2 pm., Senior Shopping – anyone over the age of 55 and lives in Botetourt County may shop
- Thursday, April 7, 2:30-5:30 p.m., Student Shopping – all Botetourt students may shop; among items available will be prom attire and spring clothing
- Friday, April 9, Second Saturday Lunch – Free lunch of hot dogs, beef-vegetable soup, chips, dessert and water, provided by Liberty University students and Buchanan Presbyterian Church; dine in or carry out
Anniversary celebration at Lapsley’s Run Baptist
Lapsleys Run Baptist Church will celebrate the third anniversary of the Rev. David W. Halsey Sr. as pastor on Sunday, April 10, beginning at 11 a.m. The guest speaker will be Pastor Stephanie Clark, who will be accompanied by a choir from Rising Mount Zion Baptist Church of Eagle Rock.
Lunch will be served after morning service.
Everyone is invited for these and all services at Lapsleys Run Baptist Church, 608 Zion Hill Road, Fincastle. Regular services are held on the second and fourth Sundays of each month.
Easter Sunrise Service, breakfast at Galatia
Galatia Evangelical Presbyterian Church at 78 Gala Loop Road, Eagle Rock, is having an Easter Sunrise Service on April 17 at 7 a.m. with a potluck breakfast to follow the service in the church basement. Remember to also bring flowers (real or artificial) to put on the cross.
There will be no Sunday School that day, but Sunday worship services begin at 11 a.m. Both services will be led by Thomas A. Provenzola, Ph.D., who is currently serving Galatia EPC.
April events at Springwood Baptist
Springwood Baptist Church invites the public to the following events happening in April: • Bible study every first and third Wednesday of the month at 6:30 p.m. Youth and children meet as well.
- Sunday, April 10, annual Easter Egg Hunt at 9:45 a.m. during Sunday School
- April 12 and April 26, 10 a.m., Women’s Group meets
- April 16, Volunteers needed at 8 a.m. for Food Pantry distribution from 9-10:30 a.m.
- Sunday, April 17, Easter Sunrise Service, 7 a.m., with a potluck breakfast to follow
Masks are optional. The church is located at 88 Copps Hill Road, Buchanan.
Fincastle United Methodist Lenten Service
Fincastle United Methodist Church will hold the final Wednesday Lenten Service and Lunch on April 6 in the Family Life Center, 137 S. Church Street, Fincastle. This 20-minute service begins at 12:05 p.m. and will be led by the Rev. Rob Lough, former pastor at St. Mark’s United Methodist Church, Daleville. Lunch is chicken salad croissants, fruit salad, chips, and a dessert. Takeout meals will be available. Everyone is invited to attend.
St. Mark’s Episcopal having Lenten soup and salad with historical theology talk
What do you know about Anthropology? Do you have a High Anthropology or a Low Anthropology? What does the Bible Say? What does the Bible Say about Humanity? What About God? Anyone interested is invited to St. Mark’s Episcopal Church in Fincastle for soup and salad and a historical theology talk about these weighty questions.
The final talk is Wednesday, April 6. Food will be offered (no charge) in the church’s Ministry Center at 221 S. Roanoke Street, next to the post office, at 7 p.m. All are welcome. Zoom links for the Lenten Historical Theology Series can be found on the website at www.stmarksfincastle.org. For more information, call the church office Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m.-2:30 p.m. at 473-2370.
Pleasant Hill Baptist April activities
Pleasant Hill Baptist Church will be hosting an Easter Egg Hunt on Sunday, April 10 following morning worship. Lunch will be served immediately following the service and then the Hunt is on! Bring the kids out for a Sunday filled with fun and fellowship.
Pleasant Hill Baptist Church Easter Services will be Sunday, April 17. There will be a morning service at 8 a.m., followed by breakfast at 8:30 a.m. in the fellowship hall. The Easter Celebration Service will take place at 10 a.m.
It is time again for the annual Pleasant Hill Mother’s Day Banquet on Saturday, April 30 at noon. This year’s theme is Apron Pockets and Serving Hearts. Boxed lunch tickets are $12 and can be purchased in the Welcome Center April 3-24. Lunch will be catered by Seasons & Occasions. Wear your favorite apron and join in for a fun afternoon. This event is presented by the PHBC Women’s Ministry.
Easter Fun Day at Troutville Park
Troutville Baptist Church is hosting Easter Fun Day at Troutville Park on Saturday, April 16 from noon to 2 pm. The event will feature an Easter egg hunt, games, prizes, giveaways and free hot dogs. The public is invited.
Celebrate Easter with Colonial Baptist Church
Colonial Baptist Church in Blue Ridge invites everyone to come celebrate Easter on April 17 for any, or all, special service times.
Gather at 7 a.m. for a Sunrise Service with Communion, followed by breakfast at 8 a.m. (bring a dish). At 9 a.m., Sunday School and Adult Bible Fellowship classes will meet, followed at 10 a.m. with aspecial Easter program. Entitled “He Was Raised,” the program will feature musical presentations by adults and children to celebrate the truth of Romans 4:25.
Colonial Baptist Church is located at 221 Hillcrest Street in Blue Ridge, just off Rt. 460 and Mountain Pass Road.
Ebenezer bake sale April 16 at Virginian Markette
Ebenezer United Methodist Church will have a bake sale on Saturday, April 16 from 8 a.m. till 1 p.m. The bake sale will be held at Virginian Markettte on Lee Highway across from Nace Road in Troutville. In addition to all kinds of baked goods, hot dogs with chili will be sold from 11 a.m. until 1p.m. and 8-ounce butter cream, coconut, and peanut butter eggs will also be sold for $6 each.
Glade Creek Easter cantata, sunrise service
The congregation of Glade Creek Baptist Church invites the community to upcoming special services.
The first will be held on Sunday, April 10 at 11 a.m. as the choir presents the Easter cantata “King of All Kings,” an original arrangement. On Easter morning, Glade Creek Baptist host a community sunrise service at 7 a.m. in Glade Creek Cemetery with Dr. Philip Ayers and Pastor Steve McChesney leading.
Joyful Journey Travel Club’s upcoming trips
The Joyful Journey Travel Club at St. Mark’s United Methodist Church has several upcoming trips.
- There are still seats left for the trip to the Sight and Sound Theater in Pennsylvania to see “David” April 25-27, $419 per person based on double occupancy ($558 for a single). Go to the church website, www.stmarksmethodist.com, for complete details or call Julia Greer at 540-330-7933.
- Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts September 26- October 1 (fall leaf season); six days/five nights, $884 per person based on double occupancy (add $359 for a single). Includes lodging, motorcoach transportation, three breakfasts, three dinners, including a fireplace feast dinner at the Salem Cross Inn, admission to the Norman Rockwell Museum, to the Magic Wing Conservatory & Gardens, to the Michele and David D’Amour Museum of Fine Arts, to the Springfield Science Museum, to the Lyman and Merrie Wood Museum of Springfield History, to the George Walter Vincent Smith Art Museum, to the Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden (a series of full scale bronze sculptures of Dr. Seuss’s whimsical creations, honoring the birthplace of Theodore Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss) and to Old Sturbridge Village. You will also visit the Yankee Candle Flagship Store. Also Included are luggage handling (in Chicope), taxes and meal gratuities and driver’s tip. The final payment is due by August 24. Trip flyers and registration forms are on the church website or call Julia Greer at 540-330-7933.
- The Wohlfhart Haus in Wythville December 6 for a “Christmas Spectacular” show and lunch. $88 per person, includes motorcoach transportation, driver’s tip, meal and performance of “A Christmas Sepctacular. A $15 deposit (non-refundable unless the trip is cancelled or you have someone to take your place) is required with your registration form which you can find on the church website or by calling Julia Greer at 540-330-7933.