Newcomb to deliver final message at Buchanan Presbyterian
Buchanan Presbyterian Church’s Ruling Elder, Cleatus Newcomb, will be preaching his last planned message this coming Sunday, August 4 at 11 a.m. Over the past two years of having an interim pastor at the church, Cleatus has presented an inspiring, sincere and from the heart sermon each third Sunday of the month when he enters the pulpit, Pastor Skip Hastings said. “Let’s pack the sanctuary in a show of our love and appreciation for all of Cleatus’ marvelous ministries to Buchanan Pres over the years! Thank you, Cleatus, you good and faithful servant-leader.”
Mt. Joy Homecoming this Sunday
Mt. Joy Church of the Brethren will celebrate Homecoming on Sunday, Aug. 4. Sunday School will be at 10 a.m. and the worship service at 11 a.m. with special music by Family Circle. A potluck mea will be served after the service. The church is located at 2565 Buffalo Road, Buchanan. Everyone is welcome.
‘Sheffy’ at Crossroads Baptist Sunday
Crossroads Baptist Church will show the film “Sheffy” on Sunday, Aug. 4 at 6 p.m. Everyone is invited. The church is located at 1128 Wheatland Road, Buchanan, For more information, contact Pastor Elmer Clemons at 540-761-5074.
Eagle Rock Clothes Closet
The Clothes Closet at Eagle Rock United Methodist Church will be open Saturday, Aug. 3 2, from 9 a.m. to noon and Wednesday, Aug. 7, from 5-6:30 p.m. Free clothing will be available to men, women and children. The Clothes Closet is a ministry of the Eagle Rock United Methodist Charge. For more information, call Brenda Spangler, 884-2503.
Galatia Evangelical Presbyterian Church
Upcoming events at Galatia Evangelical Presbyterian Church include:
- Vacation Bible School: July 30, 31, and August 1 from 6:15-8 p.m. for ages 6-14. The theme is “Easter in July.” Solve puzzles, find clues, and unlock a treasure chest.
- Dig into God’s word with Thursday afternoon Bible study from 4-6 p.m. (starting August 8).
- Bring your appetite and musical instruments (if you wish) for an evening of pizza, music, worship, and fellowship from 6-8 p.m. (starting August 8). Everyone is welcome.
- Do you enjoy singing? Or simply making a “joyful noise”? Galatia EPC is forming a choir and would love to have fresh voices join in. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Also coming in August: a DivorceCare group (www.divorcecare.org) is forming to encourage and help anyone going through or healing from a divorce (details TBA).
Galatia EPC is located at 78 Gala Loop Road, Eagle Rock. For more information on any of these events, email email@example.com.
Cloverdale Church of the Brethren Thrift Shop
The Thrift Shop has name brand dresses and slacks suits for $3 each. Don’t miss the July special– skirts and women’s and men’s slacks are 50 cents each. There is a good selection of sizes and colors. The shop is open each Saturday from 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
The Sunday School Ministries of First Baptist Church of Fincastle, where the Rev. Montie E. Brown Sr. is pastor, and First Baptist Church of Amsterdam/Cloverdale, where the Rev. Shawn Burch is pastor, will be having a Youth Workshop for kindergarten through 12th grade. The workshop will be held at First Baptist Church of Fincastle located at 6529 Blue Ridge Turnpike. This year’s theme is “Steps Towards My Future.”
The Kick Off Fun Night will be held on Friday, August 2, from 6-8 p.m. with food and spiritual games. The full-day workshop will begin at 9:30 a.m. and end at 3 p.m. on Saturday, August 3. Several presenters will be sharing on Christian Growth, Citizenship, and Education. Pre-registration for this workshop can be completed on line at eventbrite.com ‘” Steps To The Future”. Although, online pre-registration is encouraged, registration may also be completed at the workshop.
Lunch will be provided on Saturday and everyone is welcome.