Botetourt Chorus bake sale April 14
The Botetourt County Chorus will have a bake sale on Friday, April 14 in front of the Buchanan Town Hall, beginning at 8 a.m. There will be lots of baked goods for Easter. For more information, call Faye at 798-8142.
Band Night at VFW Saturday
VFW Post 1841 in Daleville is sponsoring another “Band Night” on Saturday, April 15 at 7 p.m. The local band of Dennis Dunbar and family will be playing a variety of music including bluegrass and country. Donations will be accepted at the door. Bring a dish and enjoy the music.
Wildflower program at Buchanan Library
Ellen Holtman, a Roanoke Master Gardening volunteer, will be at the Buchanan Library on April 13 at 10 a.m. to present a program on wildflowers. She will be talking about native wildflowers in Virginia. The free wildflower program is sponsored by the Friends of the Buchanan Library and everyone is invited. The library is located at 19795 Main Street, 928-3005.
• Garden Vendors Wanted – The Town of Buchanan is accepting garden vendor applications for the third annual Buchanan Garden Festival scheduled for Saturday, May 13. Applications are available online at www.townofbuchanan.com or from the Buchanan Town Hall. If you have “garden-themed” items including plants, flowers, outdoor living, handmade crafts, antiques or art with a flower or garden theme, this event offers an opportunity to display and sell those items. For additional information, contact the Buchanan Downtown Revitalization Program at 254-1212, Ext. 4.
• Civil War History Weekend – The Town of Buchanan is accepting Civil War Weekend applications for re-enactors, sutlers and vendors for the upcoming Civil War History Weekend scheduled for April 28, 29 and 30. Applications are available online at www.townofbuchanan.com or from the Buchanan Town Hall. For additional information, contact the Buchanan Downtown Revitalization Program at 254-1212, Ext. 4.
• Third Fridays Block Party & Cruise In – Buchanan is welcoming spring on Friday, April 21 with the start of its monthly Third Fridays Block Party & Cruise Ins. DJ Randy Riddle will provide a blend of music spanning from the ‘50s through today. Visitors will be able to rediscover a simpler time when folks drove into town following a long week of work to grab a bite to eat, visit with friends, shop late and take in a movie. If you are interested in setting up as part of the Buchanan Community Market, contact the Buchanan Downtown Revitalization Program at 254-1212, Ext. 4.
• Buchanan Lions Club – Members meet at 6:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Thursday of each month. Members will meet at North Star Restaurant on Thursday, April 13.
• Easter Coconut Cake Orders – Pick up of cakes is on Friday, April 14. All proceeds go toward the upkeep of the historic Wilson Warehouse/Community House.
Movie at the libraries
The Botetourt County Libraries will show the film “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” in April.
This spin-off of the Harry Potter franchise jumps back in time to explore the wizarding world of 1926. An author studying fantastic beasts arrives in New York City and gets caught up in a larger conflict when some of the creatures in his care are accidentally released.The movie is rated PG-13 and is not intended for young children. The film runs for 133 minutes.
Remaining show times are: Wednesday, April 19 at 4 – Fincastle’ and Thursday, April 20 at 4 – Buchanan. All movies are free and snacks will be provided.
Succulent plants program April 26
Donna Haley, Master Gardening Volunteer, will be at the Buchanan Library on April 26 at 10 a.m. with a program on succulent plants.
Donna will explain how this low-maintenance, drought-tolerant plant can be used as a houseplant and outdoors in the landscape. The program is sponsored by the Friends of the Buchanan Library. The library is located at 19795 Main Street, Buchanan.
Buchanan Friends’ fundraising events
The Friends of the Buchanan Library will be holding two fundraising events April 27 to 29. In the basement of the Buchanan Library, the Friends will hold their 3-2-1 Used Book Sale. On Thursday April 27, 3-7 p.m., all of the books and media material will be $3 per bag; on Friday, April 28, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., $2 per bag; and on Saturday, April 29, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., $1 per bag.
At the same time, in the Meeting Room of the Buchanan Library, there will be an indoor yard dale. The yard sale includes household items, glassware, Avon collectibles, holiday decorations and more. The dates and times are the same as the 3-2-1 Used Book Sale.
All proceeds will benefit the Friends of the Buchanan Library. The Buchanan Library is located at 19795 Main Street, Buchanan.
LaGue featured at Market Gallery’s May show
The Market Gallery’s May show opens on Art By Night, Friday, May 5, 5:30-9 p.m., featuring artists Brett LaGue and Elaine Fleck. Both artists draw inspiration from the local Virginia landscape and music.
Brett LaGue’s work veers from acrylic paintings depicting rural Botetourt County, where he resides to rhythmic abstract drawings of energy fields.
Elaine Fleck is working on a sequence of collage-paintings with her haunting calico leitmotifs depicting Roanoke’s Old Southwest and the people from other countries who live there. Their spring show hangs from May 2 through May 27. The artists will speak briefly about their work at 6:15 and 6:30.
The Market Gallery is located at 23 Salem Avenue, Roanoke. For more information call 342-1177 or visit The Market Gallery on Facebook and at www.marketgalleryroanoke.com.
LaGue exhibit at Gallery @Barr
The Gallery@Barr Photographics announces the spring installment of the Corner Gallery’s 2017 exhibition series, with the return of award-winning Fincastle plein aire artist Brett LaGue. Brett is presenting a collection of acrylic or oil works entitled “Under Blue Skies: Landscapes of Southwestern Virginia.”
“Under Blue Skies: Landscapes of Southwestern Virginia” will be celebrated with a reception and demonstration of technique by LaGue, to which the public is invited, on Friday, April 14 from 7-9 p.m. in The Gallery @ Barr Photographics, 152 E. Main Street, Abingdon. “Under Blue Skies”” will hang and be offered for sale through May 31.
The Gallery @ Barr Photographics is housed in the Greenway Trigg Building, located in the heart of Abingdon’s main street historic district. Call 276- 628-1486 or visit http://barrphotographics.com for further information.
Gallery By James spring jewelry show April 22
Gallery By The James in Buchanan is holding its Spring Jewelry Show—Get Your “Bling” On— Saturday, April 22 from 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
The show will feature new guest jewelry artists as well as work by regular cooperative members.
Gallery By The James is a cooperative art gallery formed in 2003 and is located at 19827 Main Street in in a restored 1880 building that is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Trail ride at Douthat April 29
The Mountain Riders Horseback Riding Trail group is holding an invitational ride at Douthat State Park on Saturday, April 29. Long ride begins at 11 a.m. and a short ride at 1 p.m. Meet at the Day Parking Lot and be ready to ride at these times. $8 for the day and dinner will be provided to all registered participants following the rides at 5 p.m. Bring lawn chairs and drinks. To register, contact Kendal Duvall at 540-815-0928 by April 24 at 5 p.m.