Knights of Columbus fish fries coming up
The Knights of Columbus fish fries are scheduled for March 13 and 27 from 5-7 p.m. at the Church of the Transfiguration, 7624 Roanoke Road, Fincastle. The meal, eat in or take out, consists of breaded flounder (optional chicken nuggets for children), sweet cornbread, fries, homemade slaw and desserts. Cost is $10 for ages 8 and older; ages 7 and under eat free. Advance tickets are not available. There also will be a 50/50 drawing. Proceeds will benefit local charities. For more information, call 540-904-3126.
New book club for adults at Fincastle Library
The first meeting of a new book club for adults will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday, March 5 at the Fincastle Library. At this initial meeting, participants will get to know each other
And discuss upcoming book selections. The group plans to meet at 10 a.m. on the first Thursday of each month.
Retired Educators to meet at Mill Creek Baptist
The Botetourt Retired Educators will meet on Monday, March 9, at Mill Creek Baptist Church, 11475 Lee Highway, Fincastle. Registration will begin at 10:30 a.m. with the meeting starting at 11. Members may make donations to the Scholarship Fund and to the Book Fund at this meeting.
Tyler Painter, 4-H Agent for the Virginia Cooperative Extension Service, will be the guest speaker. Cost for the buffet lunch will be $15. Members should receive either a call or an email about the meeting. If you are not contacted and are interested in attending the meeting, contact Susan Martin (473-2636) by Monday, March 2. Membership in the BRE is eligible to all retired Botetourt County school personnel and to any retired school personnel living in the county.
Upcoming events at Buchanan Library
- The Buchanan Book Club will meet in the Front Room from 10:30 a.m. to noon on Wednesday, March 4. They will discuss their reading selections for celebrating Black History Month.
- Read with Ripley: Children in first, second and third grades will sign up for a 10-minute slot to read with Ripley, an Australian Shepherd Therapy Dog. This event will take place March 5 from 3-4:30 p.m. Children will bring their own material to read. To reserve a time slot, call Buchanan Library, 928-3005.
Buchanan Dates To Remember
- Second Sunday Dinner – Dine in the historic Wilson Warehouse/Community House this Sunday, March 9 from noon until 2 p.m. March’s menu is fresh green salad, chicken parmesan with marinara over spaghetti with mixed vegetables, crusty baquette, beverage and dessert. Dine in or carry out; $12 for adults and $6 for children 12 and under. Proceeds help maintain the historic Wilson Warehouse.
- Buchanan Arbor Day – Help Buchanan plant the seeds of tomorrow today through a donation to the Buchanan Arbor Day Tree Fund. To make a donation call the Buchanan Town Hall at 254-1212.
- Special Events Committee Meeting – Be part of Buchanan’s event planning, join us Wednesday, March 11 at 7 p.m. in the Meeting Room of the Buchanan Town Hall.
- Buchanan Civil War History Weekend – The town is accepting applications for re-enactors and sutlers for the Buchanan Civil War History Weekend for April 24, 25 and 26. For additional information call the Buchanan Town Hall at 254-1212, Ext. 4, or http://www.townofbuchanan.com/buchanan-civil-war-history-weekend/.
- Buchanan Garden Festival Vendors – The town is accepting applications for garden-themed vendors for the Buchanan Garden Festival scheduled for Saturday, May 2. For additional information call the Buchanan Town Hall at 254-1212, Ext. 4, or http://www.townofbuchanan.com/event/buchanan-garden-festival/.
- Buchanan Garden Festival Plein Air Paint Competition – The town is accepting applications for the Buchanan Garden Festival Plein Air Paint Competition scheduled for Saturday, May 2. For additional information call the Buchanan Town Hall at 254-1212, Ext. 4, or, http://www.townofbuchanan.com/event/buchanan-garden-festival/.
American Legion Post 240 meets Thursday
American Legion Post 240 will meet at the VFW Hall on Roanoke Road, Daleville, on Thursday, March 5. Light refreshments will be served from 6-7 p.m. The meeting will start promptly at 7 p.m. and usually lasts for one hour. All honorably discharged veterans are invited to attend.
‘Invasive Species’ topic of gardening program
The Friends of the Buchanan Library will welcome Roanoke Master Gardener Donna Haley back to the Buchanan Library for the first of three spring programs about gardening. On March 25 at 10 a.m., she will present a program on “Invasive Species.” New and experienced gardeners will learn about common plants that are invasive and why people need to recognize and control them in the landscape. Everyone is invited to the program and it’s free. The Buchanan Library is located at 19795 Main Street in Buchanan; 928-3005.
Paper airplane craft for kids March 19
The Buchanan Library will offer a paper airplane craft for ages 8 and up. The kids will meet March 19 from 4-6 p.m. in the Front Room. No sign up is required and all materials are provided.