Movies at the libraries
The Botetourt County libraries will show free movies in January.
A newly released family film will show on Thursday, Jan. 11 at 4 p.m. at the Blue Ridge Library and Thursday, Jan. 18 at 4 p.m. at the Fincastle branch. The same film will show Thursday, Jan. 25 at 4:30 p.m. at the Buchanan Library.
Classic Movie Monday at the Fincastle branch continues at 1:30 p.m. on January 29.
Free snacks will be provided at all showings.
For more information, including movie titles, see the events section on the Botetourt County Libraries’ Facebook page or call the libraries at: 928-2900-Blue Ridge, 928-3005-Buchanan or 928-2700-Fincastle.
Buchanan Soup Night Cash Mob Friday
Buchanan Soup Night Cash Mob will be held the evening of Friday, Jan. 12. Buchanan’s downtown merchants are providing samplings of soups and fresh baked bread while visitors shop, play, dine and live local.
Visitors will be able to enjoy a free sampling of chicken noodle soup, taco soup, potato soup and others at the downtown shops.
To round out the evening, visitors can take advantage of the extended hours to shop and take in a movie. Visitors can also enter for the opportunity to win free tickets to the Buchanan Theatre.
Second Sunday Dinner in Buchanan
Buchanan Town Improvement Society is holding its monthly Second Sunday Dinner January 14 from 12-2 p.m. in the historic Wilson Warehouse/Community House on Lowe Street.
Dinner is $10 with proceeds benefiting the maintenance of the historic Wilson Warehouse. January’s menu consists of fresh green salad, homemade lasagna and garlic bread with choice of beverage and dessert. Dine in and carry out are available.
Eagle Rock Library January events
Eagle Rock Library has the following programs scheduled:
- Mondays at 2:45 p.m.— OGRE (Order of Gaming, Ridiculousness & Excitement). This new club is for those who like to play games and have fun with favorite board games, brain teasers, card games and relay races to challenge the kids. Participants will test their skills against friends and librarians. Some games will be clean and neat, others may get messy.
- Wednesdays starting Jan. 10— 10-11 a.m. and 5-6 p.m. Technology Learning for those who might need some help with new gadgets or navigating the world of computers. 30-minute individual sessions are available.
- Thursday, Jan. 11 at 11 a.m.— Girligami, a fresh spin on origami, with the subject Sweet Treats.
- Saturday, Jan. 13 at 10 a.m.— Genre Book Club will be discussing the role of nature in Appalachia.
- Saturday, Jan. 13 at 11:30 a.m.— Sock Snowman craft. Sign up required.
- Monday, Jan. 15 at 10 a.m.— Breakfast and a Movie (Lego Ninjago Movie). The library is closed, but the library is hosting this special event— sign-up is required. Pancakes, bacon and cereal.
- Thursday, Jan. 18 at 11 a.m.— Poached from Pinterest Winter Series. DIY Cosmetics. Call 928-2800 to reserve a space.
- Thursday, Jan. 18 at 1 p.m., Loose Threads Lifewriting — Learn how to craft that memoir you have always talked about writing. No prior writing experience required. Call 928-2800 to register.
- Thursday, Jan. 25 at 11 a.m.— Eclectic Readers Book Club. They’ll be reading “The Snow Child” by Eowyn Ivey
- Thursday, Feb. 1 at 11 a.m.— Poached from Pinterest Winter Series, Heart Hand Warmers. Call 928-2800 to reserve a space.
- Thursday, Feb. 15 at 11 a.m.— Poached from Pinterest Winter Series, DIY Magnets. Call 928-2800 to reserve a space.