Movies at the libraries
The Botetourt County libraries will show free movies in January.
A newly released family film will show Thursday, Jan. 18 at 4 p.m. at the Fincastle branch. The same film will show Thursday, Jan. 25 at 4:30 p.m. at the Buchanan Library.
Classic Movie Monday at the Fincastle branch continues at 1:30 p.m. on January 29.
Free snacks will be provided at all showings.
For more information, including movie titles, see the events section on the Botetourt County Libraries’ Facebook page or call the libraries at: 928-2900-Blue Ridge, 928-3005-Buchanan or 928-2700-Fincastle.
Eagle Rock Library January events
Eagle Rock Library has the following programs scheduled:
- Mondays at 2:45 p.m.— OGRE (Order of Gaming, Ridiculousness & Excitement). This new club is for those who like to play games and have fun with favorite board games, brain teasers, card games and relay races to challenge the kids. Participants will test their skills against friends and librarians. Some games will be clean and neat, others may get messy.
- Wednesdays— 10-11 a.m. and 5-6 p.m. Technology Learning for those who might need some help with new gadgets or navigating the world of computers. 30-minute individual sessions are available.
- Thursday, Jan. 18 at 11 a.m.— Poached from Pinterest Winter Series. DIY Cosmetics. Call 928-2800 to reserve a space.
- Thursday, Jan. 18 at 1 p.m., Loose Threads Lifewriting — Learn how to craft that memoir you have always talked about writing. No prior writing experience required. Call 928-2800 to register.
- Thursday, Jan. 25 at 11 a.m.— Eclectic Readers Book Club. They’ll be reading “The Snow Child” by Eowyn Ivey
- Thursday, Feb. 1 at 11 a.m.— Poached from Pinterest Winter Series, Heart Hand Warmers. Call 928-2800 to reserve a space.
- Thursday, Feb. 15 at 11 a.m.— Poached from Pinterest Winter Series, DIY Magnets. Call 928-2800 to reserve a space.
Craft class at Fincastle Library
Castle Craft Class, an adult class, will be held from 1-2 p.m. January 26 at the Fincastle Library. It is “Beginning felting – make a snowflake ornament – materials provided.
Felting needles will be available after the class for purchase for a nominal fee. Rhonda Bandy will teach the class. For more information, call 928-2700.
Reading Challenge Logs due January 27
The 2017 Reading Challenge Logs are due by January 27 at the Buchanan Library. The winner will be announced by January 31. This year the winner will win a new Kindle.
The Friends of the Buchanan Library are again sponsoring a 2018 Reading Challenge. Reader will again need to read a minimum of 7,000 pages and read several books from the Reading Challenge List. The list is designed to take you out of your comfort zone of reading into different subjects such as non-fiction, biography/autobiography, mysteries, poetry, and other books. There will also be some fun challenges on the book list this year.
To register for the 2018 Reading Challenge, go by the Buchanan Library and sign-up or call the Buchanan Library at 928-3005. The Reading Challenge List will be announced the first week in February. All patrons of the Buchanan Library are welcome to participate in the 2018 Reading Challenge. The Buchanan Library is located at 19705 Main Street, Buchanan.