Daleville/Fincastle Lions Club meetings
Daleville/Fincastle Lions Club members meet at 12 noon on the first and third Wednesday of each month at The Glebe. The next meeting will be on March 15. The club welcomes anyone interested in serving the community. If you would like more information, contact Lion Marian Bullard. (540) 581-4682.
Buchanan Dates To Remember
• Arbor Day Donations – The Town of Buchanan is accepting donations for the purchase and maintenance of trees. Donations this year will help with the purchase of trees to be planted on the town’s Arbor Day, Friday, April 7 at 11 a.m. If you wish to make a donation, applications are available at the Buchanan Town Hall, or at the town website at www.townofbuchanan.com
• Cherry Tree Blossoms – Buchanan’s cherry blossoms will be negotiating a bit of a minefield over the coming week. Last week’s short warm stretch coaxed buds to prepare to open; however, the last three days have changed this and that has the potential to cause problems. While it’s going to be cold, it’s actually perfectly normal for this time of year. The new factor this year is that the cherry blossoms are developing so early that the freezing temperatures are both more likely and potentially more problematic.
The changing weather pattern has caused town officials to revise the peak bloom prediction to March 19-22. The colder-than-expected temperatures over this coming week will push the dates back a bit.
For those who cannot wait for spring, as expected, the warm weather last week coaxed a few flowers out. It’s not many but there are trees with a few flowers starting to show.
• Garden Vendors Wanted – The Town of Buchanan is accepting garden vendor applications for the third annual Buchanan Garden Festival scheduled for Saturday, May 13. Applications are available online at www.townofbuchanan.com or from the Buchanan Town Hall. If you have “garden-themed” items including plants, flowers, outdoor living, handmade crafts, antiques or art with a flower or garden theme, this event offers an opportunity to display and sell those items. For additional information, contact the Buchanan Downtown Revitalization Program at 254-1212, Ext. 4.
• Coloring & Coffee – Gallery By the James invites the public to Sunday afternoons for Coloring & Coffee where adults can enjoy a coloring session with others and make new friends. There is a $5 materials fee for original works to color. Upcoming dates and times include: Sundays, March 19, April 16 and May 21, with sessions fro 2:30-4:30 p.m. For additional information, call 254-9708.
• Buchanan Lions Club – Members meet at 6:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Thursday of each month. Members will meet at North Star Restaurant on Thursday, March 23.
• Civil War History Weekend – The Town of Buchanan is accepting Civil War Weekend applications for re-enactors, sutlers and vendors for the upcoming Civil War History Weekend scheduled for April 28, 29 and 30. Applications are available online at www.townofbuchanan.com or from the Buchanan Town Hall. For additional information, contact the Buchanan Downtown Revitalization Program at 254-1212, Ext. 4.
Relay fundraise at Country Cookin’
Cookin’ Up A Cure will hold a Relay for Life fundraiser Thursday, March 23 from 11 a.m.-9 p.m. at the Country Cookin’ in Troutville.
Show this article and Country Cookin’ will donate 20 percent of your pre-tax purchase to Relay for Life Botetourt. Only one article is needed per table.
‘Rain Gardens’ program at Buchanan Library
Donna Haley, Master Gardener volunteer, will be at the Buchanan Library on Thursday, March 23, 10 a.m., with a program on “Rain Gardens.” You will learn about the best plants to choose for the location and water conservation of gardens. The program is sponsored by the Friends of the Buchanan Library. The library is located at 19795 Main Street; 928-3005.
Pizza Hut tip night for Relay
There will be a Relay for Life tip night at the Daleville Pizza Hut Tuesday, April 4 from 4-9 p.m. Dine in and carry out are available.
All donations and tips will go to Relay For Life Botetourt. There will be T-shirts and baked good for sale also.