Funky Bunny doodle art at the libraries
The Fincastle, Buchanan, and Blue Ridge libraries will offer free afternoon art classes in April to make Funky Easter Bunnies using pens, pencils and markers. The classes are for all ages, although young children will need help from an adult. All materials will be provided.
Classes will be at 4 p.m. on Tuesday, April 2 at the Fincastle Library; 4:30 on Thursday, April 4 at the Buchanan Library; and 4on Thursday, April 11 at the Blue Ridge Library.
For more information, see the Botetourt County Libraries Facebook page or call the libraries at 928-2700, Fincastle; 928-3005, Buchanan; or 928-2900, Blue Ridge.
Knights of Columbus fish fry
The Knights of Columbus will hold a fish fry on Fridays, March 22 and April 5, from 5-7 p.m. at the Church of the Transfiguration, 7624 Roanoke Road, Fincastle. Eat in or take out for $10, age 8 through adult. Ages 7 and under eat free. There will be ample portions of lightly breaded flounder (chicken nuggets for children), sweet cornbread, fries, homemade slaw and desserts. A 50/50 drawing will be held. There are no advance ticket sales. Proceeds will benefit local charities. For more information, call 540-904-3126.
Buchanan Dates To Remember
• Buchanan Arbor Day – Join Buchanan on Friday, April 5th as we plant the seeds of tomorrow today during the Town’s annual Arbor Day Celebration beginning at 11:00 a.m. Activities include a brief program followed by a ceremonial tree planning on the Buchanan Town Park at 485 Lowe Street. The Town is accepting donations of any size to help defray the cost of planting trees, to make a donation, contact the Buchanan Town Hall at 540-254-1212.
• Easter Coconut Cake Fund Raiser – The Buchanan Town Improvement Society is selling homemade coconut cakes for your family’s holiday activities. Enjoy yellow cake, in layers iced with fresh coconut icing. Three sizes of cakes are available, 6-inch round for $15, 8-inch round for $25 and new this year, a single layer sheet cake for $20. Orders must be placed by April 12. To order, call Sharon Harris at 254-1414. Pick up of the cakes is on Friday, April 19.
• Buchanan Spring Clean Up Saturday, April 13, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. – A dumpster will be available on the Town Parking Lot at the Town Park on Lowe Street for town residents. Please bring proof of town residency (water or tax bill or driver’s license). Each residence may bring two pickup truck loads or four car loads for free. Loads above that will be $5 per carload and $10 for a pickup truck load. No brush, leaves, tires, construction debris or toxic items including paint, oil, batteries, chemicals or pesticides. TVs, electronics and metal may be recycled at the landfill; yes to appliances, furniture, other household items for disposal. You must be able to lift items over head into a tall dumpster. Solomon’s Mission accepts donations across the street. For additional information, call the Town Hall, 254-1212.
• Buchanan Easter Egg Hunt – Bring your cameras to take a selfie with the Easter Bunny during the Buchanan Easter Egg Hunt on Saturday, April 13. Activities will begin at 11 a.m. on the Town Park located at 485 Lowe Street. More than 2,000 colorful eggs will be scattered across the Town Park for children to enjoy hunting for treasures. Additional details will be posted in upcoming editions of The Fincastle Herald.
• Buchanan Third Friday Block Party – Buchanan welcomes spring with the first “Meet Me on Main Street” Block Party & Cruise In on Friday, April 19. Activities include an old fashioned Cruise In showcasing antique and classic cars along Main Street, a DJ playing great music, kids’ games including the Buchanan Art Wall, and extended hours by some businesses. Be sure to save the third Friday of each month April through September for this community event. If your group would like to set up as part of the Community Market, call the Buchanan Downtown Revitalization Program at 254-1212, Ext. 4.
- Buchanan Garden Festival –The Town of Buchanan is accepting applications for “garden themed” vendors for the town’s annual Buchanan Garden Festival scheduled for Saturday, May 4. Applications may be downloaded from the town’s website at www.townofbuchanan.com or for additional information, call 254-1212, Ext. 4.
- Buchanan Garden Festival Quick Draw Plein Air Competition – Buchanan’s first Quick Draw Plein Air Competition will be held during the sixth annual Buchanan Garden Festival on Saturday, May 4. The Plein Air, or outdoor, painting competition is open to all artists. Artists in the competition have only two hours to complete their work. During this time, all registered participants will set up using their own supplies including paint, board and easel to paint in the historic Wilson Warehouse Gardens or adjacent Buchanan Town Park. After the paintings are completed, they will be displayed on easels under the Show Tent from 12:30-3:30 p.m. During this time, the public will vote for their favorite painting to win the People’s Choice Award. Prizes will be awarded in the following categories; First Place Judge’s Award – $100, People’s Choice – $50, Children’s Show – $25. Registration for the Quick Draw Plein Air Competition is open with costs of $10 for adults, and $5 for children 12 and under. Registrations are due by Monday, April 29. Applications may be obtained at the Buchanan Town Hall or downloaded from the town website at http://www.townofbuchanan.com/event/buchanan-garden-festival/. For additional information call the Buchanan Downtown Revitalization Program at 254-1212, Ext. 4.
- Buchanan Civil War History Weekend – Discover one of the lesser known sites of the Civil War during Buchanan’s Civil War History Weekend scheduled for April 26, 27 and 28. Each day features different activities with Friday being open to schools for tours and a behind the scenes view for the general public, Saturday features a full day of activities and Sunday features a period church service and afternoon battle. Explore living history camps, period demonstrations, heritage craft demonstrations, Buchanan history displays, skirmishes, period fashions, camp dance, Sunday camp church service, Civil War history films, guest speakers and more. For additional information contact the Buchanan Downtown Revitalization Program at 254-1212, Ext. 4 or the town website at www.townofbuchanan.com
Movie at the libraries
The Fincastle and Blue Ridge libraries will show a newly released animated film in March.
The movie, which is rated PG, will show on Thursday, March 21 at the Fincastle Library and on Tuesday, March 26 at the Blue Ridge branch. Both showings begin at 4 p.m. Admission is free and open to everyone. Snacks will also be provided.
For more information, including the name of the film, see the Botetourt County Libraries’ Facebook page or call the libraries at 928-2700, Fincastle or 928-2900, Blue Ridge.
Rain barrel workshop at Blue Ridge Library
Blue Ridge Library will host “Build Your Own Rain Barrel Workshop” on Saturday, March 30, from 10-11:30 a.m. Master Gardener Tonya Harper will conduct the workshop. Cost is $60 per barrel and includes all needed materials. Registration is required, and registration forms are available at the library, or at the Virginia Cooperative Extension office in Roanoke, 3738 Brambleton Avenue. Call 772-7524 to register, or for more information. Registration deadline is March 23. Register early; class is limited to first 20 registered participants.
Veterans, descendants invited to Buchanan veteran organizations meeting
The men and women of the Buchanan Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Post 5895 and American Legion Post 93 invite local area veterans and those descendants of veterans interested in the Sons of the Legion and Legion Riders to a joint meeting of Buchanan’s VFW, American Legion, Sons of the Legion (SAL) and Legion Riders Chapter. The joint event will be at the Botetourt Event Center, 14860 Lee Highway, Buchanan on March 26 at 7 p.m.
Attend and learn more about the missions of the local veteran and affiliate organizations. Organizers will have membership applications available, but they mainly want an opportunity for local veterans and their descendants desiring to participate in patriotic organizations to meet for an evening of fellowship.
For more information, email email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Frank Ware at 757-375-3414.
Fincastle Library’s Spring Fair
The Fincastle Library will be sponsoring a unique opportunity to shop and support young local talent.
The Spring Fair will feature young local artists, crafters, bakers, and builders. They will be displaying and selling their creative works at the library just in time for Mother’s Day.
Items will include: pottery, paintings, soaps, jewelry, craft Items, and baked goods.
The event will be held from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, May 4. Admission is free. For more information, call the library at 928-2700.