Scholarship fundraiser at Bellacino’s March 19
A fundraiser to benefit the Botetourt Education Association’s Scholarship Fund will be held on Tuesday, March 19 at Bellacino’s in Daleville. Bellacino’s will donate 10 percent of all pre-tax sales to the fund. No coupons or other discounts will be honored in conjunction with this fundraiser.
Knights of Columbus fish fry
The Knights of Columbus will hold a fish fry on Fridays, March 22 and April 5, from 5-7 p.m. at the Church of the Transfiguration, 7624 Roanoke Road, Fincastle. Eat in or take out for $10, age 8 through adult. Ages 7 and under eat free. There will be ample portions of lightly breaded flounder (chicken nuggets for children), sweet cornbread, fries, homemade slaw and desserts. A 50/50 drawing will be held. There are no advance ticket sales. Proceeds will benefit local charities. For more information, call 540-904-3126.
Bingo fundraiser for Delores Joiner
An afternoon of fun and bingo to benefit Delores Joiner will be held at the Fincastle Firehouse on Saturday, March 16. She has been unable to work at this time and is struggling to get disability. Organizers want to help Joiner as she has been such a huge supporter and helper with the rescue of animals in the county.
The event kicks off with vendor shopping at 9 a.m. and bingo starting at 10:30. All bingo prizes are from local vendors such as Pampered Chef, Paparazzi, Thirty One Gifts, and more, with the cover-all grand prize valued over $150. There will be a 50/50 drawing, raffle, many door prizes, a bake sale, and lunch for purchase. There are 20 rounds of bingo plus a cover-all round for the grand prize. Get one door prize ticket with a bingo card package purchase. Additional bingo cards, cover-all cards, raffle and door prize tickets will be available for purchase the day of the bingo.
Tickets are sold in advance for $20 by contacting Diane Taylor at (540) 520-7967 or Deb Sifford at (540) 309-2480. Tickets are $25 at the door. You need to pre-order your tickets by March 15 via check, cash, or PayPal. If you purchase tickets by March 8, you will earn a star on your ticket for two door prize tickets.
Buchanan Dates to Remember
- Special Events Committee – Members of the Buchanan Special Events Committee will meet on Thursday, March 13 at 7 p.m. in the Meeting Room of the Buchanan Town Hall. The group will be working on upcoming events such as the Buchanan Civil War History Weekend and the Buchanan Garden Festival.
- Buchanan Garden Festival –The Town of Buchanan is accepting applications for “garden themed” vendors for the town’s annual Buchanan Garden Festival scheduled for Saturday, May 4. Applications may be downloaded from the town’s website at www.townofbuchanan.com or for additional information, call 254-1212, Ext. 4.
- Easter Coconut Cake Fund Raiser – The Buchanan Town Improvement Society is selling homemade coconut cakes for Easter. Enjoy yellow cake, in layers iced with fresh coconut icing. Three sizes of cakes are available, 6-inch round for $15, 8-inch round for $25and new this year, a single layer sheet cake for $20. Orders must be placed by April 12. To order, call Sharon Harris at 254-1414. Pick up of the cakes is on Friday, April 19.
- Buchanan Garden Festival Quick Draw Plein Air Competition – Buchanan’s first Quick Draw Plein Air Competition will be held during the sixth annual Buchanan Garden Festival on Saturday, May 4. The Plein Air, or outdoor, painting competition is open to all artists. Artists in the competition have only two hours to complete their work. During this time, all registered participants will set up using their own supplies including paint, board and easel to paint in the historic Wilson Warehouse Gardens or adjacent Buchanan Town Park. After the paintings are completed, they will be displayed on easels under the Show Tent from 12:30-3:30 p.m. During this time, the public will vote for their favorite painting to win the People’s Choice Award. Prizes will be awarded in the following categories; First Place Judge’s Award – $100, People’s Choice – $50, Children’s Show – $25. Registration for the Quick Draw Plein Air Competition is open with costs of $10 for adults, and $5 for children 12 and under. Registrations are due by Monday, April 29. Applications may be obtained at the Buchanan Town Hall or downloaded from the town website at http://www.townofbuchanan.com/event/buchanan-garden-festival/. For additional information call the Buchanan Downtown Revitalization Program at 254-1212, Ext. 4.
- Buchanan Civil War History Weekend – Discover one of the lesser known sites of the Civil War during Buchanan’s Civil War History Weekend scheduled for April 26, 27 and 28. Each day features different activities with Friday being open to schools for tours and a behind the scenes view for the general public, Saturday features a full day of activities and Sunday features a period church service and afternoon battle. Explore living history camps, period demonstrations, heritage craft demonstrations, Buchanan history displays, skirmishes, period fashions, camp dance, Sunday camp church service, Civil War history films, guest speakers and more. For additional information contact the Buchanan Downtown Revitalization Program at 254-1212, Ext. 4 or the town website at www.townofbuchanan.com
Movie at the libraries
The Fincastle and Blue Ridge libraries will show a newly released animated film in March.
The movie, which is rated PG, will show on Thursday, March 21 at the Fincastle Library and on Tuesday, March 26 at the Blue Ridge branch. Both showings begin at 4 p.m. Admission is free and open to everyone. Snacks will also be provided.
For more information, including the name of the film, see the Botetourt County Libraries’ Facebook page or call the libraries at 928-2700, Fincastle or 928-2900, Blue Ridge.
Rain barrel workshop at Blue Ridge Library
Blue Ridge Library will host “Build Your Own Rain Barrel Workshop” on Saturday, March 30, from 10-11:30 a.m. Master Gardener Tonya Harper will conduct the workshop. Cost is $60 per barrel and includes all needed materials. Registration is required, and registration forms are available at the library, or at the Virginia Cooperative Extension office in Roanoke, 3738 Brambleton Avenue. Call 772-7524 to register, or for more information. Registration deadline is March 23. Register early; class is limited to first 20 registered participants.
Veterans, descendants invited to Buchanan veteran organizations meeting
The men and women of the Buchanan Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Post 5895 and American Legion Post 93 invite local area veterans and those descendants of veterans interested in the Sons of the Legion and Legion Riders to a joint meeting of Buchanan’s VFW, American Legion, Sons of the Legion (SAL) and Legion Riders Chapter. The joint event will be at the Botetourt Event Center, 14860 Lee Highway, Buchanan on March 26 at 7 p.m.
Attend and learn more about the missions of the local veteran and affiliate organizations. Organizers will have membership applications available, but they mainly want an opportunity for local veterans and their descendants desiring to participate in patriotic organizations to meet for an evening of fellowship.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, or call Frank Ware at 757-375-3414.
Fincastle Library’s Spring Fair
The Fincastle Library will be sponsoring a unique opportunity to shop and support young local talent.
The Spring Fair will feature young local artists, crafters, bakers, and builders. They will be displaying and selling their creative works at the library just in time for Mother’s Day.
Items will include: pottery, paintings, soaps, jewelry, craft Items, and baked goods.
The event will be held from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, May 4. Admission is free. For more information, call the library at 928-2700.