The Botetourt County Planning Commission met on July 12 and recommended the following for the Board of Supervisors to consider at its July 27 meeting:
- Old Locke Bend downzone to A-1: approval, no proffers (Pendleton)
- LAM 2nd accessory structure: approval, no conditions (Pendleton)
- Parrish 2nd accessory structure: approval, no conditions (Pendleton)
- Buchanan rezoning to R2: approval, no conditions (Drew)
- QAZAZ Bed and Breakfast and Special Events Facility: approved as recommended by staff–there were three speakers, one opposed, two slightly opposed but had questions.
- The Comprehensive Plan updating the Gateway Crossing Area Plan reads as follows:
The Gateway Crossing Area Plan, adopted in November of 2016, illustrates the importance of increased connectivity. Connectivity results in increased safety, reduced congestion, and increased travel efficiency all modes of transportation. The Gateway Crossing Area Plan, adopted prior to consideration of Interstate 81 improvements, recognized the importance of an opportunity to connect Daleville directly to Route 11, but given the cost and feasibility of such a project at the time, was shown in the plan only as a “Future Long-Term Path Connection.” Due to the planned bridge construction, there is a critical opportunity to expand upon the bike/ped connection from Tinker Mountain Road to Route 11, by providing the vision for vehicular access as well. In addition to the benefits of increased connectivity, such an amendment would also serve to provide access to land identified in the Gateway Crossing Area Plan as a walkable mixed-use community, a reality which is currently hindered by access to the properties.