Named to Cedarville Dean’s List
Cedarville University in Cedarville, Ohio, recently released the Fall 2020 Dean’s List. This recognition requires the student to obtain a 3.75 GPA or higher for the semester and carry a minimum of 12 credit hours.
Local students on the Dean’s List include Alexis Baader of Blue Ridge and Elisabeth Lewis and Megan Whitney, both of Roanoke.
DSLCC seeking Distinguished Alumni Award nominations
The Dabney S. Lancaster Community College Alumni Association has announced that the fifth annual Distinguished Alumni Award is currently open for nominations. Established in 2017, this prestigious award recognizes DSLCC alumni who have realized exemplary distinction in their professions and honors all those at the college who have assisted them on the path to success, ultimately enabling them to enrich their communities.
• Be a graduate of or have completed a minimum of two semesters at DSLCC.
• Be present to accept the award.
• Have attained extraordinary distinction and success in his or her professional career or personal life.
• Be a person of such prominence and integrity that the college will take pride in his or her recognition.
• Have attained regional, statewide, or national distinction and/or have significant involvement in civic, cultural, or charitable activities.
Previous recipients include Steven Leitch, 2017; John Stone, 2018; Julie Persinger Gardiner, 2019; and Nova Wright, 2020.
Nominations may be made by visiting www.dslcc.edu/alumni, completing the nomination form, and emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Nominations may also be mailed to: DSLCC Educational Foundation, 1000 Dabney Drive, Clifton Forge, 24422. Nominations are due by Friday, Feb. 19, to the DSLCC Educational Foundation/ Office of Institutional Advancement. The award will be presented at DSLCC commencement exercises on Friday, May 14.
For more information on the Distinguished Alumni Award, contact Alumni Relations Coordinator Jodi Burgess at email@example.com or 863-2835.
Kindergarten registration for next term is February 16
Kindergarten registration for the 2021-2022 school term is scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 16, from 12- 6 p.m. at each elementary school. Contact your child’s school directly and schedule a time to come into the building and complete the appropriate paperwork.
All parent forms may be found on the BCPS division website, under the parents tab: https://www.bcps.k12.va.us/parents/registration_forms.
Virginia school law states that children are of school age if they have reached their fifth birthday on or before September 30.
Information requested at the time of registration will include:
• Birth certificate
• Documentation of proof of residency (copy of deed/mortgage/ lease/real estate tax statement, or a current utility bill and a current bank statement or check stub issued by an employer)
A physical examination and a record of immunization will also be required prior to the first day of school.
For more information, contact the school at the following numbers:
Breckinridge Elementary: 473-8386
Buchanan Elementary: 254-2084
Cloverdale Elementary: 992-1086
Colonial Elementary: 977-6773
Eagle Rock Elementary: 884-2421
Greenfield Elementary: 992-4416
Troutville Elementary: 992-1871
Local students earn degrees at JMU
Several local students graduated from James Madison University in December 19, 2020 commencement exercises. The students and their degrees are:
• Kyle Kennedy of Buchanan, double major in computer information systems and kinesiology
• Erica Anderson of Roanoke, psychology
• Brandon Voss of Roanoke, economics
• Aliyah Murrell of Roanoke, health sciences
• Emma Coman of Troutville, health sciences
• William Braun of Troutville, history
• Miranda Watts of Troutville. Nursing
Hoffman on Presbyterian College Dean’s List
Lauren Elizabeth Hoffman, a sophomore from Troutville, made the Dean’s List at Presbyterian College in South Carolina during the Fall 2020 Semester. The Dean’s List is composed of students who have earned between a 3.3 and a 3.9 grade point average.