Upcoming programs and activities (all virtual unless otherwise specified) at Botetourt County libraries include:
- Read For a Better World (all ages). Through January 31, BoCo Libraries is participating in Beanstack’s Fifth Annual Winter Reading Challenge, sponsored by Lerner Publishing Group. Explore diversity, empathy, and action through literature. Help us reach our goal of 500,000 minutes read for our chance to win book collections, autographed books and author visits!
- Protect Your Child From Online Predators Thursday, January 27, 6:30 p.m., led by Special Agent Joe Edgell with the Virginia State Police . Learn how to protect your child and teach them how to protect themselves
- Women of Auschwitz: Author Talk, Saturday, January 29, 11 a.m. Heather Dune Macadam, author of “999: The Extraordinary Young Women of the First Official Jewish Transport to Auschwitz”
- BBB Presents: Romance Scams, Wednesday, February 2, 1 p.m. Avoid falling victim to romance scams by learning what scams are out there and the tactics being used to fool innocent victims
- Speed Dating with Books, Saturday, February 5, 11 a.m. Find your next read with our entertaining and engaging round robin book recommendation event. Library staff will entice you into reading some of their favorite titles included in February’s 10 to Try challenge available through Beanstack
- 10 To Try , February (all ages). The 10 to Try challenge in Beanstack will help you broaden your reading horizons and earn a chance to win awesome prizes! Earn badges for reading from our recommended reading lists (found on Beanstack).
- #LoveYourLibrary, February (all ages). What does the library mean to you? Share your stories during February by visiting any BoCo library or share on social media and tag @bocolibraries
Kid & Teen Events
- StoryTime Detectives, Thursdays through February 10, 10:30 a.m. Enjoy stories, sing-alongs and finger plays as we explore the world around us
- Campfire & S’mores, in-person event. Stories, games, crafts, sweet treats and fire trucks. Buchanan Town Park, Friday, January 28, 5:30 p.m.
- Stories with Fire & EMS, Thursday, February 17, 10:30 a.m., and Thursday, February 24, 10:30 a.m. Enjoy stories with our local Fire & EMS team.
- 2022 Winter Olympic Opening Ceremonies, Friday, February 4, 7:30 p.m. Join in this virtual event to celebrate the opening ceremonies of the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing. Walk through how to make your own Olympic torch out of common household items (don’t worry, there’s no fire involved!) Play an Olympic trivia game. Learn about the sports and athletes participating this year.