American Legion Boys State, which was established in 1935, is among the most respected and selective educational programs of government instruction for U.S. high school students. Students become part of the operation of local, county and state government. ”
This year’s event will be conducted at Radford University during the week of June 21- 25. The cost of this program is $400, for which Post 240 will be awarding scholarships to attend. This event is open to only males as there is also a Girls State which is held at a later date.”
To become eligible, the following guidelines must be met:
- The applicant must have an immediate relative who is either presently serving in the Armed Forces or is a veteran.
- Male applicant must be in his junior year at either Lord Botetourt or James River High School and maintaining at least a 3.0 GPA.
- Applicant must submit an essay on the subjects of patriotism, government or any related subject.
- Essay must contain at least 400 words, but no more than 700 words.
- Essay, along with the student’s name, home address, email address and telephone number, should be mailed to: American Legion Post 240, P.O. Box 782, Daleville, 24083.
- Submission should be postmarked no later than April 30.
- Any questions should be directed in writing to the above address or call 540-525-8852. If no answer, leave a message and someone will return your call as soon as possible.”
Post 240 looks forward to selecting two applicants to attend this extremely worthy event.