The Botetourt County Sheriff’s Office (BCSO) recently shared their excitement announcing “a significant change in our appearance.” Botetourt residents will soon begin to see Botetourt County sheriff’s deputies wearing all-black uniforms. This modification completes BSCO’s new look as the department adjusted the color schemes of county police vehicles last year to a black and white color scheme featuring a reflective vinyl for a more modern image.
In a recent press release, the Sheriff’s Office shared that a uniform committee was recently created, recognizing the need for a new uniform that meets the needs and the demands of modern policing.
The decision to transition to a new uniform was made after careful consideration and feedback from both the uniform committee and Sheriff’s Office staff. The committee collaborated with leading uniform manufacturers and distributors for public safety professionals, to ensure they were getting a practical, durable, and functional uniform.
In a comprehensive assessment, the uniform committee discovered that 80% of today’s uniform market predominately deals with black and blue materials. These colors are readily available and are becoming the standard in the industry. The remaining 20% of the uniform market encompasses a wide range of colors including the brown citizens are accustomed to seeing, limiting their options.
The change in the uniform design also signifies BCSO’s commitment to modernization while preserving its traditional values and principles. A driving factor in this change was considering the comfort and well-being of the deputies. The new uniform is purpose-built and designed to meet the demands of Botetourt’s law enforcement officers’ daily duties.
“Our new uniform represents a significant step forward for our department by equipping our deputies with the best tools to perform their duties,” said Sheriff Matt Ward in the release. “I understand the importance of fiscal responsibility, and I am pleased that the transition to our new uniform was accomplished without any additional financial burden to the taxpayer or our budget.”
The transition to the new uniform was implemented last Wednesday.
~ Fincastle Herald staff report